- 1 kilo (about 2 pounds) sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 kilo (about 2 pounds) pumpkin or winter squash, peeled and sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1 kilo (about 2 pounds) all-purpose flour
- 1 liter water
- 150 grams (5 ounces) yeast
1. Cook the pumpkin, sweet potato, cinnamon and cloves in water to cover until the vegetables are tender.
2. Drain the vegetables, mash them, and force them through a sieve.
3. Mix in the salt, aniseed, and flour.
4. Soften the yeast in 1/4 cup of lukewarm water and mix it into the flour to make a fairly firm dough. You can add a more water if necessary, but the pumpkin and sweet potato will probably supply enough moisture.
5. Work the dough until it doesn't stick on the table (about 5 minutes).
6. Put it in a bowl and cover with a wet cloth for about 2-3 hours. When it has doubled in volume, heat oil in a large saucepan.
7. Pull off tablespoon-size pieces of dough and shape them into rings.
8. Deep fry them in hot oil (370 F. or 190 C.) until they are browned on both sides.
9. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with syrup.