- 500g long grain rice
- 1 1/2pts semi-skimmed milk
- 1/2pt evaporated milk
- 100g sugar
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- Good handful or raisins
- Brandy if you have it
- Vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
1. Soak the rice in hot water for 10 mins
2. Drain and put in a high-sided pan with a lid. Add about 2/3 of the semi-skimmed milk and stir.
3. Cover, and bring the mixture to the boil. Once the mixture is boiling, place the pan in a pre-heated oven (180C, Gas Mark 4) for 15 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the oven. The milk should be completely absorbed by the rice.
5. While the pan is in the oven, heat the remaining cup of semi-skimmed milk in another pan, adding the cinnamon stick, evaporated milk and sugar. Leave barely simmering for 5 minutes.
6. Add the raisins, vanilla extract and brandy to taste. Leave to simmer for another ten minutes.
7. Add the rice from the first pan, and cook, stirring often, for five minutes.
8. Spoon into small bowls and leave to cool. Serve cool/cold.