- 1/2 pound purple corn kernels
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 small pineapple, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 2 pears, peeled and sliced
- 2 peaches, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 1 pound cherries, pitted
- 1 pound dried apricots, halved
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
1. Put the purple corn kernels in a saucepan with water.
2. Bring the water to a boil and simmer until the corn is cooked. This will take about 30 minutes and the water will be a deep purple.
3. Strain the corn and discard. Measure the liquid and if necessary, add more water to make 6 cups.
4. Return the purple water to the saucepan and add the sugar, cloves, cinnamon stick, pineapple, pears, peaches, cherries, and dried apricots. Cover and let simmer.
5. Cook the mixture over low heat for 15 minutes or until the fruit is tender.
6. Remove the cloves and cinnamon.
7. Dissolve the corn starch in a 1/4 cup water and stir it into the fruit mixture.
8. Cook until the liquid is thickened, then stir in the lemon juice. Chill. Serve with cinnamon sprinkled on top (optional).