- 450g/1lb Raw unpeeled Prawns (shrimp)
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1/4 teasp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 teasp Paprika
- 1/4 teasp ground Cumin
- Dash Hot Pepper Sauce (Check Ingredients)
- 675g/1-1/2lb Butternut Squash, peeled, deseeded,
and cut into 2.5cm/1-inch cubes
- 450g/1lb Green Cabbage, chopped
- 450g/1lb Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 ears of Sweetcorn, halved
- 1.1L/40fl.oz. Water
- 240ml/8fl.oz. Double Cream
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the prawns and 1 teaspoon of the Salt and cook for about 5 minutes only, stirring constantly, until the prawns turn pink. Remove the prawns with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool. Once they are cool enough to handle, peel and set aside.
2. Reheat the oil in the pan and add the onion, cayenne, paprika, cumin and salt. Cook, stirring, until the onion is soft and transparent.
3. Add the Tabasco, squash, cabbage, potatoes, sweetcorn and water to the pan, bring to a boil then reduce the heat, partially cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, partially covered or until the potatoes are tender. You may have to add a little more water as this dish is supposed to be more like a hearty soup.
4. Stir in the cream and continue to simmer very gently for 10 minutes.
5. Add prawns, season with more salt if necessary and cook gently for a further about 2 minutes or until the prawns are completely heated through. Serve immediately.