- 2 lb (1 k) green lima beans
- 6 pint (4 l) water
- 1 lb 5 oz (600 g) ossobuco (veal or beef shanks, knuckles)
- 4 lb (2 k) beef bones
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup celery, cut in pieces
- 1 cup leek, cut in pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 fresh oregano sprigs
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 parsley sprigs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1/2 tablespoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 10 1/2 oz (300 g) farmers cheese (feta), diced
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 lb (3/4 k) loin of beef , diced Cooked white rice
1. In a large pan, cook together bones, osso buco, bay leaf, celery, leek, and fresh oregano with water. Boil at moderate heat for 1 1/2 hour. Strain. Set broth aside.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan and cook onion until translucent.
3. Add peppers and allspice, dried oregano, green lima beans, and 3 tablespoons of stock. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
4. Add rest of stock, carrots, and boil for 1 1/2 hour, covered, at low heat. Correct seasoning 15 minutes before serving and add cheese and white vinegar.
5. Brown beef in a frying pan with oil. Place a tablespoon of fried beef and white rice on each soup bowl and pour soup on top.